Saturday, August 9, 2014

Spiritual Shopping


It has been a while since I've bought something just for myself, so Thursday morning (my payday) I decided to get some exercise and walk down-town to have a browse in "Veritas Central", Albury's Catholic gift store. Last time I went in there was the end of last year, or the very start of this year - some eight months ago now.

As I am trying more than ever to rekindle my faith and love of God, a progress of abandoning certain traits and bad habits is in order. Instead of spending money on things that are used once, never again (for example, cigarettes, alcohol, drugs etc) this week I decided to spend money on what I NEED rather than what I WANT. I did spend on material items, yes; but not worthless material belongings in God's eyes.

When one is trying to change their way of living, deciding to either abstain from a certain poison, or drastically reducing the amount they ingest, a good way to reward ones-self is to buy something special that they wouldn't have bought if still consumed by the downward spiral of that drug.

Whilst I was looking through Veritas, I found two books that I have recently added to my list of "must read" - "True Devotion to Mary" by St. Louis de Montfort, and "The Rule of St. Benedict". What better way to grow in love of God and His Church, than to read about devoting one-self to the Blessed Virgin Mary, then following through with that devotion in an act of consecration? "To Jesus, through Mary".

As for "The Rule" I've thought what better book to read, growing spiritually, following the Father of Western Monasticism! Though I'm not a monk, I'm sure by reading this book I will find spiritual nourishment and texts I can apply to my current state of life.

There were plenty of other things in the store I wanted to buy, but the two books were enough for now. Though I will be going back there more often for spiritual nourishment when I've finished reading these three books, "The Way" which I recently purchased included in that list.

1 comment:

  1. "a good way to reward ones-self is to buy something special that they wouldn't have bought if still consumed by the downward spiral of that drug." Interesting. I may talk to my smoking daughter about trying that.

    ReplyDelete